Contrary to popular belief, Christians experience depression too. The world has a preconceived idea of what the basic “Christian Woman” should look like. You can find books and attend seminars teaching Christian women to be kind, gentle yet strong, and full of happiness. However, no one talks about what a Chrisitan woman should do if she feels hurt, stressed out, lonely, or abandoned.
Although many people have their personal idea of what a Christian should be, we know that Christians experience hard times in life just like anyone else. We may go through hard seasons in life when we experience tough emotions such as hurt, pain, anger, and depression just like everyone else. The difference between us and the world is that we have Jesus Christ to turn to and the Word of God to help us through our hard times.
So what do we do when we have emotions that aren’t so “Christian-like”? Should we ignore our emotions and forget about them until they go away? Absolutely not. We fight back against those negative feelings using the Word of God.
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
The enemy uses our negative life experiences to send emotions of fear, anxiety, stress, worry as mental traps to discourage us from moving forward in life. This is a type of spiritual warfare he uses to destroy God’s people.
To fight back against feelings of depression, recite and speak these scriptures daily. Allow the Word of God to work in your mind and move on your heart to help strengthen you to overcome depression.
Scriptures to Fight Against Depression
- Deuteronomy 31:8 – The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
- Ecclesiastes 9:4 – Anyone who is among the living has hope.
- Psalms 9:9 – The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
- Psalm 27:14 – Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
- Psalm 31:22,24 – You heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help… Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.
- Psalm 34:18, 19 – The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.
- Psalm 147:3 – He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- Proverbs 12:25 – Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down (depression), but a good word cheers it up.
- Romans 15:13 – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.